Permski synapsyd
Imię i nazwisko: Krzysztof Lichota

Pingwiny wielkości ludzi

Post autor: KrzysiekLichota »

Właśnie znalazłem to na google:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... guins.html
Zobaczcie!
i jeszcze:
March Of The Giant Penguins: Prehistoric Equatorial Penguins Reached 5 Feet In Height

Science Daily — Giant prehistoric penguins? In Peru? It sounds more like something out of Hollywood than science, but a researcher from North Carolina State University along with U.S., Peruvian and Argentine collaborators has shown that two heretofore undiscovered penguin species reached equatorial regions tens of millions of years earlier than expected and during a period when the earth was much warmer than it is now.

Reconstructions of the first Paleogene penguins from equatorial regions, illustrating morphological diversity and size range in present the new early penguin faunas.The late Eocene giant penguin Icadyptes salasi(right) and the middle Eocene Perudyptes devriesi(left) are shown to scale with the only extant penguin inhabiting Peru,Spheniscushumbolti (center).Icadyptes salasi is the first giant penguin known from a complete skull and had an estimated standing height of 1.5m.Perudyptes devriesi is known from one of the most complete skeletons of a more basal part of the penguin lineage. Together these new finds are revolutionizing our understanding of biogeography and timing of diversification in the penguin lineage. (Credit: Art by Kristin Lamm)

Paleontologist Dr. Julia Clarke, assistant professor of marine, earth and atmospheric sciences at NC State with appointments at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and the American Museum of Natural History, and colleagues studied two newly discovered extinct species of penguins. Peruvian paleontologists discovered the new penguins' sites in 2005.

The research is published online the week of June 25 in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. It was funded by the National Science Foundation Office of International Science and Engineering and the National Geographic Society.

The first of the new species, Icadyptes salasi, stood 5 feet tall and lived about 36 million years ago. The second new species, Perudyptes devriesi, lived about 42 million years ago, was approximately the same size as a living King Penguin (2 ½ to 3 feet tall) and represents a very early part of penguin evolutionary history. Both of these species lived on the southern coast of Peru.

These new penguin fossils are among the most complete yet recovered and call into question hypotheses about the timing and pattern of penguin evolution and expansion. Previous theories held that penguins probably evolved in high latitudes (Antarctica and New Zealand) and then moved into lower latitudes that are closer to the equator about 10 million years ago -- long after significant global cooling that occurred about 34 million years ago.

"We tend to think of penguins as being cold-adapted species," Clarke says, "even the small penguins in equatorial regions today, but the new fossils date back to one of the warmest periods in the last 65 million years of Earth's history. The evidence indicates that penguins reached low latitude regions more than 30 million years prior to our previous estimates."

The new species are the first fossils to indicate a significant and diverse presence of penguins in equatorial areas during a period that predates one of the most important climatic shifts in Earth's history, the transition from extremely warm temperatures in the Paleocene and Eocene Epochs to the development of "icehouse" Earth conditions and permanent polar icecaps. Not only did penguins reach low latitudes during this warmer interval, but they thrived: more species are known from the new Peruvian localities than inhabit those regions today.

By comparing the pattern of evolutionary relationships with the geographic distribution of other fossil penguins, Clarke and colleagues estimate that the two Peruvian species are the product of two separate dispersal events. The ancestors of Perudyptes appear to have inhabited Antarctica, while those of Icadyptes may have originated near New Zealand.

The new penguin specimens are among the most complete yet discovered that show us what early penguins looked like. Both new species had long narrow pointed beaks -- now believed to be an ancestral beak shape for all penguins. Perudyptes devriesi has a slightly longer beak than seen in some living penguins but the giant Icadyptes salasi exhibits a grossly elongated beak with features not known in any extinct or living species. This species' beak is sharply pointed, almost spear-like in appearance, and its neck is robustly built with strong muscle attachment sites. Icadyptes salasi is among the largest species of penguin yet described.

Although these fossils seem to contradict some of what we think we know about the relationship between penguins and climate, Clarke cautions against assuming that just because prehistoric penguins may not have been cold-adapted, living penguins won't be negatively affected by climate change.

"These Peruvian species are early branches off the penguin family tree, that are comparatively distant cousins of living penguins," Clarke says. "In addition, current global warming is occurring on a significantly shorter timescale. The data from these new fossil species cannot be used to argue that warming wouldn't negatively impact living penguins."
Obrazek

Awatar użytkownika
Dino
Administrator
Administrator
Imię i nazwisko: Łukasz Czepiński
Kontakt:

Post autor: Dino »

Porównanie czaszek Icadyptes salasi (góra) i Perudyptes devriesi (dół)
Obrazek

Awatar użytkownika
Sebastian
Jurajski allozaur
Jurajski allozaur
Imię i nazwisko: Sebastian Oziemski

Post autor: Sebastian »

Postaram się to przetłumaczyć OK?

KrzysiekLichota
Permski synapsyd
Permski synapsyd
Imię i nazwisko: Krzysztof Lichota

Post autor: KrzysiekLichota »

Będę wdzięczny.

Awatar użytkownika
Dino
Administrator
Administrator
Imię i nazwisko: Łukasz Czepiński
Kontakt:

Post autor: Dino »

http://wiadomosci.wp.pl/kat,1342,wid,89 ... caid=13ff8
Olbrzymie pingwiny przemierzały teren obecnego Peru już ponad 40 mln lat temu - o wiele wcześniej, niż naukowcy ocenili czas rozprzestrzenienia tych nielotów w cieplejszy klimat - informuje najnowszy numer "Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences" (PNAS).

Dziś pingwiny zasiedlają wiele wysp na półkuli południowej, nieraz nawet te leżące stosunkowo blisko równika. Naukowcy sądzili, że pingwiny nie dotarły do tych cieplejszych rejonów wcześniej, niż około 10 mln lat temu.

Tymczasem w PNAS badacze informują o znalezieniu szczątków dwóch typów pingwinów w Peru. Znalezisko datuje się na 40 mln lat. Jeden z nich to mierzący ponad 1,5 m pingwin-gigant o długim, ostrym dziobie.

Paleontolog Julia Clarke, doktor nauk o morzu, ziemi i atmosferze z North Carolina State University przyznaje, że zaskoczyło ją to znalezisko. "Jest w tym samym wieku, co najstarsze pingwiny z Ameryki Południowej. Jedyny inny, znany naukowcom ich ślad z tego kontynentu - i z tego samego okresu - pochodzi z najbardziej na południe wysuniętego skraju kontynentu" - zauważyła.

Nowe znalezisko świadczy o tym, że pingwiny dotarły w rejony równikowe o wiele wcześniej niż ktokolwiek dotąd pomyślał - dodała badaczka.
KopalniaWiedzy.pl
Dzisiejsze pingwiny kojarzą się z lodem, chłodnym klimatem i śniegiem. Z wyjątkiem pingwina cesarskiego są też raczej niewielkie. Tymczasem jeszcze jakieś trzydzieści sześć milionów lat temu po plażach Peru, tylko 14 stopni na południe od równika, spacerowały 1,5-metrowe nieloty o łacińskiej nazwie Icadyptes salasi.

Duże rozmiary u pingwina to adaptacja pozwalająca podtrzymywać odpowiednią ciepłotę ciała. Ponieważ w eocenie klimat na Ziemi był o wiele gorętszy, Mario Urbina z National University of San Marcos w Limie zdziwił się, stwierdzając, że superpingwin żył w tropikach. Razem z nim skamieliny badała Julia Clarke z Uniwersytetu Stanowego Północnej Karoliny, która przyznała, że nie wiadomo, jak tak duże pingwiny mogły regulować swoją temperaturę, żyjąc na lądzie. Według niej, większość czasu musiały po prostu spędzać w wodzie (Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences).

Zlodowacenie, w wyniku którego Antarktyda pokryła się lodem, rozpoczęło się ok. 34 mln lat temu, czyli mniej więcej 2 mln lat po wyginięciu Icadyptes salasi. Gatunek ten jest trzecim pod względem wielkości pingwinem, jakiego kiedykolwiek odnaleziono. Jego szkielet jest natomiast najbardziej kompletny.

W depozycie sprzed 42 mln lat wraz z olbrzymem odnaleziono gatunek Perudyptes devriesi o wielkości pośredniej między współczesnymi pingwinami Humboldta (peruwiańskimi) a długodziobymi Icadyptes salasi.

Dziób Icadyptes salasi wyglądem przypominał dzidę, nie wiadomo jednak, jak dokładnie ptak się odżywiał.

Przed opisanym odkryciem paleontolodzy sądzili, że pingwiny zawędrowały w okolice niskich szerokości geograficznych 4-8 mln lat temu, kiedy klimat był o wiele chłodniejszy.

Anna Błońska

Awatar użytkownika
Ceratopsian24
Sylurski akantod
Sylurski akantod
Imię i nazwisko: Daniel Wiecheć
Kontakt:

Re: Pingwiny wielkości ludzi

Post autor: Ceratopsian24 »

Było by naprawdę ciekawie móc oglądać na wycieczce na Antarktydę pingwiny wielkości ludzi, takie 1.60-1.80 metrowej wysokości :shock: Coś niesamowitego! :D
Obrazek
I Love Migration in Kenya and Tanzania :)

Awatar użytkownika
Jakub02122003
Prekambryjski stromatolit
Prekambryjski stromatolit
Imię i nazwisko: Jarek Adamus

Re: Pingwiny wielkości ludzi

Post autor: Jakub02122003 »

ciekawe czy te ptaki żyły w stadach

ODPOWIEDZ